Saturday, May 22, 2010

Doin' the Math

Time we've been in Haiti: 2 months shy of 2 years
Time since the earthquake: 4 months, 10 days
Average number of hours I spend working per week: 50
Average amount of daily electricity: 6-7 hours
Average temperature these days: 95 F
Average humidity: 70%
Average number of times I yell/scream/curse or otherwise express excessive amounts of anger or frustration (usually in the privacy of my home) per week: 10
Current number of mosquito bites on my legs: 6
Days until Ben can supposedly - hopefully - walk again: 8
Average time it takes to get money from the bank: 1 hour
Number of tremors this week: 2
Number of days it takes 2 construction workers to build 15 feet of wall: 6 and counting
Number of days until Bryan and Sharon leave: 12
Number of vacations coming up SOON: 1
Days until said vacation: 14

I know I JUST got back from two weeks in Canada, y'all, but as nice of a trip as it was, it was still work. And I was not with Ben. And it has taken less than a week for me to be ready for another break.

Yesterday in our team meeting, a visitor gave us a 5-minute lecture on compassion fatigue and stress, which came pretty close to precipitating a bump in this week's crying average. The thing is, why have someone come in to tell us that we're stressed? I know I'm stressed. I already spend as much time as possible engaged in the activities that are my de-stressors and I'm still this close to losing it.

5 comments:

Peter said...

People in Longmeadow, MA thinking of you guys daily: 4.

laura said...

Lord Jesus, Come Quickly!!! Only He can set all things right.
He read these verses to the people (from Isaiah 61):
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of rigteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated

ianandmonica said...

Number of days spent with you in Haiti: 4
Number of days until are next meeting: SOON!
Hey you guys, we are going to be in Titanyen for the next few weeks..closer to you! We have to see you!!

Bex_78 said...

more tremors? ugh. i left haiti in a similar state of frustration/ exhaustion /wondering why i am doing this-tion. glad you found the flamingos. I don't think i've seen such distinct black markings on birds in africa...or in chicago's lincoln park zoo. i got ridiculously burnt on fet drapo...i kind of look like a flamingo that was in a car wreck. my knee is particularly ugly - but gives me a little sense of solidarity wtih ben. kenbe fem or kore vit..whatever you need. you are loved.

Anonymous said...

Me too on the "this close" part. I love you, MED

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...