Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fancy Feet

I have gotten two pedicures in my life. The first was before my wedding at an all-natural, aromatherepeutic spa in Boone, North Carolina. The second was last Saturday.

It's taken me nearly two years to notice that pretty much every man, woman and child in Port-Au-Prince - except me, and of course Ben - has beautifully painted toenails. Men typically go with a clear coat or a nice subtle pastel shade. (I'm serious). For Haitian women, though, it's no holds barred - red, blue, purple, yellow, rainbows, flowers, stickers, even acrylics! This is why there is a beauty salon on every corner.

Saturday, Sharon and I paid a visit to the Peigne d'Or Studio de Beaute (Golden Comb Beauty Studio) that is conveniently located about 45-seconds from my front door. While we watched Haitian music videos on television, our feet were soaked in green apple scented dish soap and vigorously scrubbed with sandpaper. Then our toenails were trimmed, buffed, primed with a clear coat and painted a glorious, shiny red. All this for about $3.00.

The most amazing thing about this experience is how normal it felt. For about forty minutes we were just two other women at the salon. [Except for some slight awkwardness when we realized that our pedicurists thought we didn't speak Creole]. Also, my nails look great! I am now proudly wearing sandals and waiting for my polish to chip so that I can go back for more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, HELLO, what color did you get and where is a picture??? : ) Love, MED

Anonymous said...

PS I used to paint mine this really pretty luminescent sort of clear coat with pale purple and blue in it... Reason: It made my toenails easier to clean when I was done working in the dirt...

nerkert said...

What fun! (But I'd start dabbiing tea tree oil on those toenails if I were you. Pedicures are a good way to get a nail fungus.)

Karen said...

I was thinking about a pedicure today (it would also be the second of my life) when I put on my sandals and realized I've developed man feet (but with badly peeling blue polish) in the garden.

I wish we could get one together!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...