Monday, November 22, 2010

Staying Sew Busy

Lately I've been dealing with my conflicted emotions about living/working in Haiti by sewing up a storm:
I prefer my storms to be made of fabric these days
We are constantly trying to balance out the time we spend working with time that we spend doing other, unrelated activities. I think this is referred to as "self care" by people that write books about stress. It is also referred to as "fun." On weekends we make an effort to go hiking or swimming – we do live on an island in the Caribbean, after all; but sometimes just sleeping in on Saturday is our mental equivalent to hiking.  In my on-my-own downtime I make crafts, sew, cook, read, garden, or do yoga. Lately, I’ve been sewing more than anything else:


Meanwhile, with one disaster after another and elections coming up, Ben's self has had very little care recently. Here's hoping he has the time to pursue his dream of building a waste-oil-fueled mango dryer before the next mango season rolls around.

By the way, a BIG thank you to Kathy Troyer for scoring MCC Haiti an amazing sewing machine!

8 comments:

Bex_78 said...

Fabulous! I've gotten through 2 sewing classes this year and I'm planning to pull out the machine I bought over the summer during my hopeful Thanksgiving down time. Very thankful for you as always!

nerkert said...

So cute and clever! I wish that you and Boo and I could all hang our and sew and craft together for a few days.

Jenny said...

Thank God for creative tasks that allows an opportunity to focus on what's in front of you while also (hopefully) calming the mind. You're both in our thoughts.

Michelle Vandepol said...

i find crafts relaxing too. adorable projects

laura said...

Lexi, you are so creative!! we wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and healthy doses of re-creation time! Maybe Ben could start sewing, too? Hugs to you both.

Sharon said...

Yay for sewing projects! Everything is turning out so (sew) well -- looks like you're finding loads of fun fabrics in the market!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I work at MRC and packed up that sewing machine to send to you. Would it be possible to send a picture of the machine in operation to give to the people that donated the machine? Send the picture to MRC. Thank you so much. Have fun sewing.

Mary

LaKaribane said...

Hi Alexis, I just found this page via Caroline Doan's FB page and came for politics. So happy to discover you sew and craft. I do too! And I'm always looking for kindred spirits. I have a ton of patterns (Vogue, McCall, Butterick and Simplicity) and pattern magazines (Burda, KnipMode, Patrones, La Mia Boutique) as well as craftier publications like SewStylish or CraftStylish and Threads magazine and sewing reference books. Interested? Let me know, I'm in PV, near Place Boyer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...