Thursday, July 8, 2010

Starting Over

Sorry, the title of this post is lame, but I am starting over in Haiti. I've left my job at MCC and will be working as a freelance photographer from here on out.

Work has been slow for for a while and that's what prompted the change. Since I left MCC, though, I've been busy working for a few development organizations and shooting stories on my own. The photo agency that used to represent me, Polaris Images, has taken me back and has already contacted with an assignment. It's been good so far and I'll still volunteer some of my time to shoot for MCC.

I'm really excited to be freelancing again. A writer friend wrote me recently on the subject of being self employed - "Many congrats on busting out. It comes with all kinds of complications, as you and I both know, but for certain people (stubborn? willful? maladjusted?), working for other people is just a beatdown." I think I probably fit into the maladjusted category myself.

I've set up a new website - so far only of Haiti stuff. Check it out: www.bendepp.com

11 comments:

Paul said...

yeah brotha, grace and peace on the next steps.

Bex_78 said...

Glad to hear it's official. Glad to be one of your first customers. Hope to see you in late July/early Aug...

Bex_78 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Rock on Ben, rock on. It makes me really happy inside to know this. Love, MED

nerkert said...

Congratulations, Ben. We trust that this will work out well for you. We're very proud of the great work that you do.

Allan said...

Good job Ben, be very proactive about taxes & saving money...took me 3 months to find health insurance I could afford...the US government is killing small business & the self employed...know your tax law...but you will never go back to work for someone else...even if you are a slave to the free market, you still choose the market...

Anonymous said...

i just drank a box of franzia in celebration. that's great.

Anonymous said...

Ben, this is rad. Timothy was mentioning that you've been slammed with work since transitioning. Sounds like this is all for the best. I'm looking forward to seeing your new work, especially hand-held biking videos. You can always visit DC and take some shots of me crashing in the woods; ask Tim about the spare room.

laura said...

the link didn't work--i copy/pasted. that's quite an impressive resume you have! :-)

Joanne said...

awesome, Ben!! Can't wait to see everything you're about to capture.

caleb said...

Awesome work! Way to go on your CGAPA honors as well. Def seems like a better fit at this time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...